Wednesday, July 9, 2008

To Muncho Lake, A MOOSE!!!

I have to first confess that though I saw a REAL LIVE MOOSE, I was unable to get a picture. She was there and then gone in the blink of an eye. *sigh*

From Dawson Creek we traveled to Muncho Lake. On our way we stopped in Fort Nelson. I do not recommend Fort Nelson. The lady in the information center is not only NOT helpful but she wasn't friendly (clearly doesn't belong in this job) and she wasn't knowledgeable. The only high point of Fort Nelson was the store 2 doors down from the post office (next to the supermarket) that had cheap prices on camping gear. We were able to stock up on RiVa supplies.

But there were the other high points of the day. Near Stone Mountain at Summit Lake (you can camp there) I saw my first moose ever! I had just seen a sign to watch out for moose and just about 500 yards away, there she was. Then, a few miles later there was a sign about caribou and less than 100 feet from that sign there was a caribou.
We drove for 20 miles more then saw a sign to watch for wild sheep. And there they were, 3 stone sheep.
We spent the night at a campground at Rocky Mountain Lodge.


We paid too much for the camp. We paid $47 and the camp did not include showers, or rather the showers were coin operated. The cost of a shower was one loonie for one minute! Grrrr. Since I only had one loonie (I had toonies, paper and other coins but one loonie) I managed to take a one minute shower. Here is what I did:
I wet my hair in the bathroom sink. Then I poured my shampoo onto my wet hair and worked it into a lather. I was still dressed at this point since this area was the public portion of the ladies room. Then I went into the first shower and closed the curtain, undressed, deposited the Mooney and turned on the shower. Since my hair was already soapy, I was able to quickly wash my body, rinse and cream rinse my hair.

Despite the fact that I should have chosen one of the cheaper camp sites, the lake was lovely. Muncho Lake was a soft powder blue color when we rolled into the camp. The lake is deep, 200 meters in the center of the lake, and surrounded by steep mountains.

No comments: