Friday, August 1, 2008

RiVa loses her brakes

We made it to Whitehorse, no problem. DH has friends who live in a spectacular area outside of Whitehorse. We spent the night at their house. The girls were enthralled by the chipmunks. They set up a chipmunk trap. They wanted to trap the chipmunks and then import a few to Malibu. :)

But we had things to do. Our plan was to drive spend a few hours in Whitehorse and see the Berringia museum then on to Skagway, spend a night and then get on the ferry to Juneau. We had a lovely evening at Dave and Deb's place, so much so that the girls and I had decided that we would do one more day at their house. It wasn't to be.

Just as we were heading out to the museum and other Whitehorse activities, my foot went all the way to the floorboards when a stepped on the brakes. We were so lucky. Dave was standing right there. He knows a wonderful mechanic who is close, just down the road. Lewis was able to take RiVa right away. We were also lucky that they had the needed part in Whitehorse where Dave and I went to pick it up. The person who had ordered the part, hadn't picked it up so we were lucky, lucky, lucky.

Once I got RiVa fixed (the brake line had bent and was rubbing against the frame, which is how the brake line broke). I was researching ferry rates and times. With a start, I realized that I was operating under the faulty assumption that the ferry goes from Skagway to Juneau every day. I found out that unless I got on the ferry the next morning I would be stuck in Skagway for 5 days. Ugh. It was dinner time so we had a nice dinner with Deb and Dave and then rudely rushed off. Actually Dave and Deb understood.

We arrived in Skagway too late to find lodging so we camped at the ferry station, no problems.

The next morning we and RiVa boarded the ferry to make the 7 hour trip to Juneau. Now we are in Juneau and wil be here for 3 nights, until the next ferry to Prince Rupert.

1 comment:

Alto2 said...

OK, now that you have this blogging thing down, can you figure out a way to incorporate a Google map into your sidebar so we (I) can visualize your progress? I know; I'm so demanding. First a blog, then a moose, now a map.

I love following the adventure.